Monday, October 24, 2011

Hearty Corn Chowder

cornchowder

Fall is definitely soup season, and it helps that it's probably Titus favorite food. (Well, in hard competition with risotto, and pancakes.)

Corn is one of my favorites, but the season for fresh corn here is really short. So I mostly rely on frozen, and I'm happy to report that it doesn't really make a difference in this soup, which is very delicious. Adding the corn meal, or polenta, does wonders for the texture, so don't skip that step!

I served this with a dollop of sour cream and - as always - some fresh coriander. Yummy!

Hearty Corn Chowder

70 g bacon, diced
1 tbsp butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 potatoes, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
450 g corn (frozen and thawed is fine, if you don't have fresh)
1-2 tsp sambal oelek (or similar chili paste)
800 ml chicken stock
100 ml cream (I use full-fat)
3 tbsp corn meal (or finely ground polenta)
4 tbsp water
salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper

Fry the bacon in a large pot. Add the butter, onion, potatoes, peppers and garlic, and fry for five minutes. Add the corn, sambal oelek, chicken stock and cream. Bring to a boil.

Stir together the corn meal and water, and add to the pot. Lower the heat and cover with a lid. Let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes. Check to make sure the potatoes are cooked through, or simmer for a few more minutes.

If you'd like, use an immersion blender to blend the soup - I blended a little, but not completey. Season with salt, black pepper and some cayenne pepper if you want more heat.

Recipe in Swedish:
Matig majssoppa

1 comment:

Tora said...

MM! NAM! This looks super-delicious! I love your blog, forgive me for not always commenting. I totally should!