Friday, January 09, 2009

Deconstructed Apple Pie

apple-dessert

Well, sort of anyway. It was a really simple dessert I made a few weeks ago, and I bet it'd be perfect after a light weekend meal - say, after a soup?

Three components. One - apples. Cut up a few apples (about one per person) and fry in butter and a few spoonfuls of sugar until softened and caramelized. Add spices as you see fit - cardamom and cinnamon are obvious, but very tasty choices.

Next, the cream. It's a simple mixture of cream cheese and lightly whipped cream. You can use mascarpone if you'd like. Or just whipped cream, or crème fraîche. Yogurt, too! Be innovative! Add a little sugar and vanilla, to taste.

And finally, the topping. It's mainly rolled oats and chopped nuts, fried in butter and sugar with a little bit of maple syrup stirred in. You can see this recipe for a more exact idea, though I used less butter and hazelnuts rather than pecans this time around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder, have you ever had a Danish æblekage (apple cake)? Quite similar, though possibly not quite as delish as yours with those evil butter-fried apples ;-)

Helene said...

I love deconstructed desserts, pie in particular. Looks delicious!

annamaria said...

Du och bulan har nu fått en utmärkelse av mig. Finns på min blogg. Fredagskram till er båda!

Jeanne said...

This is one of my standby desserts - I usually have all the ingredients in the house at short notice and once instructed NIck over the phone how to make it when he unexpectedly got guests and I was out of the country!